Even though the sun always seems to shine on South Devon and our instagram feed might be full of pictures of sun, sea and sand, the rain does fall in South Devon!! But dont worry, there is plenty to do for all ages on a wet weather day.
Heres a few suggestions for what to do on a wet weather day!
- South Devon Steam Railway runs from Buckfastleigh to Totnes alongside the River Dart, through some of Devons most beautiful countryside. Tie a trip on the railway in with a visit to Buckfast Abbey (a heritage bus service runs on some days between the two) or a trip to Dartmoor Otters & Buckfast Butterflies, adjacent to Buckfastleigh station (you can buy joint tickets for both attractions)
- National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth is likely to be busy on wet days but is home of the Ocean Conservation Trust and the largest aquarium in the UK. Tie in with a visit to the historic city of Plymouth, which also has an excellent museum at The Box- a museum and gallery, that has free admission.
- Woodlands Theme Adventure Park near Dartmouth is great for children that need to let off some steam! A massive indoor soft play, rides, a falconry and zoo will keep children of all ages entertained and if the weather clears there are adventure playgrounds, water rides and woodlands to explore outside too.
- Kents Cavern, Paignton, people have been visiting Kents Cavern since the Stone Age! It is a rich treasure trove of archaeology and one of the most important Stone Age sites in Britain.
- Local Towns and Museums in Kingsbridge, Dartmouth and Salcombe are worth exploring on a wet day. Visit the local history or RNLI museums, go bargain hunting in the charity and antique shops or shelter from the rain in one of many independent cafes or restaurants.
There are also local National Trust and English Heritage properties to visit, the historic cities of Plymouth or Exeter to explore and cinemas in both Kingsbridge and Dartmouth.
Dont forget we have childrens wellies available to borrow in the games room, in case you decide to go out and embrace the weather, watch the waves or jump in some puddles before settling down in a cafe, pub or back in your cosy cottage!